Friday, November 19, 2010

The Top 5 Ultimate Movie Scenes of All Time

So since I'm in the mood for this; I thought I should share here some of my 'movie expertise' and share what I deemed, in my opinion, the five ultimate movie scenes of all time...

5: Al Pacino's Rant To Kevin Spacey from Glengarry Glen Ross:
This ultimate scene where Al Pacino wipes the floor with Kevin Spacey in the classic Glengarry Glen Ross signifies everything you love about the Al Pacino characters...The blatant outrage, the bad-mouthing, the raised eyebrows...This is it. Ladies and gentlemen, Al Pacino going apeshit on Kevin Spacey:

"What are you going to do about it...asshole?"...Epic.

4: The Brief History of America from Bowling for Columbine:
This genius piece of animation was a sequence in Michael Moore's Oscar-winning documentary Bowling for Columbine (yes, that's the win where he flamed Bush when he had the Oscar in one hand). It's told with such sarcasm and wit that you can't help but laugh and nod. And I'm not even American! Done in South Park style, it still remains a pretty good piece of work on the tenth watch:

"I loves my gun...loves my gun"...Again, epic.

3: Al Pacino's epic speech from ...And Justice For All:
This has to be a milestone in Al Pacino's acting career. The soul and passion with which this scene was executed, the mastery of emotion and tone of voice, the ability to literally morph himself into the character he plays; all became traits of the standard Al Pacino performance.

"I'M OUT OF ORDER? YOU'RE OUT OF ORDER! THIS WHOLE COURTROOM IS OUT OF ORDER!"...An epic peak of epic-ness.

2: The Marriage Sequence from Up:
I just can't comment on the warmth and beauty of this scene...If you haven't watched it yet; you're missing a beautiful bit of film-making and possibly some of the most amazing moments in the history of animation. Michael Giacchino, who provided the score for Up, is at his best on this particular master-scene.


1: The Train Sequence from Spirited Away:
Miyazaki's Spirited Away is one of the most beautiful and most imaginative movies I have ever watched in my life. It's like a dream, that was then put on film and pumped up until you cannot recognize it except as a piece of art from a mind like no other.

This movie captures that mind's (Miyazaki's) peak of creativity and maturity. In Spirited Away, the premise is simple, but the movie puts so much in thought along with the visual genius it brings to the viewer. This scene here is so poignant; it's almost philosophical. There are so many things to see in those few moments: the enduring sense (throughout the scene) that time is so meaningless, the struggle we can see in Chihiro's simple eyes, the feeling that everything else but Chihiro is dead and without identity or voice, and then to top it off; those mysterious spirits on their way to nowhere. The music, a track called The Sixth Station by Joe Hisaishi, is almost a narrative. A beautiful, beautiful scene that I never tire of; definitely worth the top spot on my list.


Until we meet later,
Take care and check this if you have not already!

God bless!

No comments: